Mr.KALYAN (BCTCA 3RD sem) is a dedicated and diligent, young aspirant who is exceptionally good at his culinary arts. IIHMCA has selected him as the Chef of the Day.
- 500 gm Chicken cut with bones
- 30 gms Ginger Garlic paste
- 20 gms Salt
- 10 ml Lemon juice
- 10 gms Turmeric powder
- 100 gms Khus khus
- 50 gms Til seeds
- 30 gms Coriander seeds
- 20 gms Cumin seeds
- 15 gms Fennel seeds
- 50 gms Ginger Garlic chopped
- 100 gms Desiccated coconut
- 5 gms Pepper corn,
- 5 gms Cloves
- 5 gms Green cardamom
- 5 gms Star anise
- 5 gms Cinnamon stick
- 10 gms Whole red chilies
- 50 gms
- 300 ml Oil
- 50 gms Ghee
- 5 gms Whole red chilies
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 5 gms Mustard seeds
- 5 gms Cumin seeds
- 25 gms Ginger garlic paste
- 120 gm Shallots, sliced
- 5 gms Green chilies
- 175 gms Tomatoes
- 50 gms Tamarind
- 5 gm Salt to taste
- 20 gm Turmeric powder
- 20 gms Red chili powder
- 10 gms Garam Masala powder
Marinate The Chicken
- Mix chicken with salt, ginger garlic paste, turmeric and lime juice in a large bowl and keep aside for ½ an hour.
Make The Chettinad Masala Paste
- Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, garlic, cinnamon, star anise, green cardamoms, black peppercorns, cloves, and dry red chilies to a pan.
- Dry roast on medium heat for 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant, stirring continuously.
- Remove the roasted spices on a plate and keep them aside.
- Add coconut to the same pan and roast until it is dark brown in color, stirring continuously.
- Transfer the roasted spices and roasted coconut to a blender along with 1 and ½cups of water and blend to make a smooth paste.
Make the Curry
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin, red chilies whole, curry leaves and shallots and fry until they turn lightly brown, stirring frequently.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook until the shallots are nicely browned.
- Now add the marinated chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the Chettinad masala paste, tomatoes, and green chilies and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and Guntur chili powder and mix well.
- Add tamarind pulp and cook for a minute.
- Now add 1cup of water and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 40-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked well. Stir a few times in between.
- Check the seasoning, and sprinkle generous amount of coriander leaves and serve hot.