1 Kg Lamb cubes (boneless)
100 gms Carrots
12 gms Pepper corns
2 gms Bay leaf
5 sprigs Fresh Thyme leaves
40 ml Olive Oil
100 gms Butter
150 gms Onions
25 gms Garlic
150 ml Red Wine
300 ml Lamb stock
35 gms Tomato paste
400 gms Mashed Potatoes
5 sprigs Parsley (Chopped)
Chef of the day: Rajshekar (BCTCA 4th Sem)
- Pre heat the oven to a moderate heat (upto 150 degree C).
- Trim excess fat from the lamb. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Brush all over with oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan on high. When hot, add lamb and sear until browned. Turn over to brown the other side. Take the lamb pieces and keep it aside. |In the same pan, add carrot, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Add the lamb pieces into the carrot thyme mix and shift the meat into a casserole dish. Make a blonde roux with the flour in the same pan and keep it aside.
- Take a pan and add butter and olive oil mix and then add cubed onions, chopped garlic and sauté till onions turn translucent. Add red wine and tomato paste and then simmer for 1 minute. Season the liquid with salt and pepper and turn the pan off.
- Spread the mix over the lamb in casserole dish so that it’s carefully spread over the meat. Shift the casserole by covering the dish into the oven and bake it slowly for 1 ½ – 2 hrs.
- Remove from the oven and season with salt if needed.
- Strain the cooking sauce through a sieve or colander into a saucepan, then simmer the strained liquid for about 5-10 minutes or until reduced to a pouring sauce. Add the meat back in.
- Serve ragout over mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley